This is one of the kids favourite birthday cakes and we have been cooking it for years! Once they got out of the birthday cake theme like crocodiles, fairies, bat caves, scooters and the like we went to this chocolate mud cake. It’s correct name is Torta Caprese or Flourless Almond Cake and because it is flourless it makes it gluten free friendly.
With only a few ingredients it is super easy and quick to put together and it’s moist and delicious to eat!
Here’s what you need:
- 250g organic dark chocolate
- 250g organic activated almonds
- 150g organic coconut sugar (I usually use half of that appraox 70-80gs)
- 150g organic butter, room temperature (I melt it and let it cool before adding it to the recipe)
- 6 medium sized organic eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 x large bowl
- 1 x 22-24cm cake tin lightly greased
Here’s what to do:
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees celcius.
- Place the chocolate into a bender or Thermomix and grate for 5-10 seconds on a high speed (Speed 8 for Thermomix). Once done, place into a bowl and set aside.
- Place almonds in the blender or Thermomix and mill for 4-6 seconds on a medium speed (Speed 6 for Thermomix). Once done add it to the bowl of chocolate and set aside.
- Place all remaining ingredients into the blender or Thermomix and mix for 20 seconds on a medium speed (Speed 7 for Thermomix)
- Add chocolate and almonds to the blender or Thermomix and continue to mix for another 30 seconds on a medium speed (Speed 6 for Thermomix).
- Put mixture into the lightly greased cake tin lined with baking paper on the bottom.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 1 hour.
What you need for the icing:
- 100g organic dark or milk chocloate
- 80g organic cream
Here’s what to do:
- Place chocolate in a blender or Thermomix and grate for 5 seconds on a high speed (Speed 8 for Thermomix)
- Add chocolate and cream to a double boiler (be careful not to get water mixed with the chocolate)
- Cook until there is a creamy consistency. Cover the torta on te top and let it run down the sides.
NB: If using a Thermomix for your icing then leave the chocolate in the TM bowl and add the cream. Set the cook function to 50 degrees and cook for 2 minutes on speed 3.
Serve with cream or home made ice cream for a very indulgent dessert. Luckily birthday’s only come around once a year!