For years we have been making these yummy paleo organic almond crusted chicken nuggets. They’re another favourite in our house with the kids. My husband and I would wake up in the early hours of the morning to put them together for our kids sport boxes.
When other kids were getting McDonald’s, KFC, Pizza and bags of lollies for food after their games our kids would pull out their planet boxes and reveal a delicious and nutritious meal complete with green salad, chopped raw carrots or capsicum (depending what was in season), nuts, seeds, a protein of some sort and one of our homemade energy bars, or nana’s fudge slice or a few energy bliss balls for afterwards. And there were lots of envious kids wanting some of what they had! One meal they still enjoy is this one, the almond crusted chicken nuggets and we still make it today for post sport activities!
These nuggets are quick to put together. It took me about 15 minutes to cut one and half chicken breasts (served 3 people comfortably) and dip the slices in the bowls. Cooking time took around 10 minutes. It might take you a little longer to start with but once you get the hang of it, you will get faster. The time, of course, will depend on how many you are cooking for.
Here’s what you need:
- 2 organic chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup organic tapioca flour
- 2 organic eggs beaten
- 1/2/ cup of organic almond meal
- 3 Tbsp organic coconut oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 medium sized bowls
- 1 Saucepan
- Serving platter
Here’s how you put it together:
- Cut the chicken breasts into slices about 1/2 cm in thickness and roughly 5 cm in length. Place onto a plate.
- Place three bowls on the kitchen bench and add 1/4 cup of tapioca flour to one bowl, 1 beaten egg on another bowl and 1/2 cup of almond meal in the last bowl. Add your salt and pepper to the almond meal. NB: you may need to top up each bowl as you go along again depending on how many chicken breasts you are using.
- Pick up an individual piece of chicken and dip it in tapioca flour so it is all covered. Shake off any excess and pop on a plate. Repeat until all of them have been done.
- Pick up an individual piece of chicken with the tapioca flour on it and dip into the egg on both sides and set aside on a plate. Do the same with the remaining pieces.
- Place a medium saucepan on the stove with three tablespoons of coconut oil in it so it can heat up whilst you are doing step 6.
- Pick up an individual piece of chicken with the tapioca and egg on it and toss it in the almond meal. Do the same with the remaining pieces.
- With the coconut oil now hot (but not burning) place a few pieces of the chicken into the oil. Make sure there is space around the chicken so it is not crowded in the saucepan.
- When the nugget starts to become white on the sides (about 1-2 minutes) flip the nugget over for another 1 min. This step doesn’t take long. The chicken will keep cooking a bit when you take it out and rest it. Watch carefully that the oil does not start to burn and be careful that the oil doesn’t spit at you.
- Remove the nuggets and add a few more pieces repeating step 8 until all have been cooked.
- Place the nuggets onto a lovely platter with dipping sauces and pick away!
These organic almond crusted chicken nuggets are a really quick, delicious and nutritious recipe for brunch, lunch or dinner, kids sports boxes or a school lunch box. Why not add some of our energy bliss balls , energy bars or nana’s fudge slice to your kids lunch or family brunch.