Peanut butter is not something we often have in the house, we tend to have almond butter if anything. So making these Organic gluten free peanut butter flourless chocolate almond muffins was definitely something we had not done before. But I had the bright idea of making this super simple. So rather than reinventing the wheel I decided to use our Flourless Chocolate Almond Cake recipe and just played with when to put the peanut butter in and the length of time to cook and boy they turned out great!
There isn’t a lot of ingredients to make the muffin (cake) mixture which means it is super easy and quick to put together and best of all the muffins are moist and delicious to eat!
Here’s what you need for the muffins:
- 250g organic dark chocolate
- 250g organic activated almonds
- 150g organic coconut sugar (I usually use half of that approx. 70-80gs, I’m not a sweet tooth)
- 150g organic butter, room temperature (I melt it and let it cool before adding it to the recipe)
- 6 medium sized organic eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 x jar organic peanut butter
- 1 x large bowl
- 1 x muffin tin with 12 spaces
- Medium baking cups for the muffin tin
Here’s what to do:
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Place the chocolate into a bender or Thermomix and grate for 5-10 seconds on a high speed (Speed 8 for Thermomix). Once done, place into a bowl and set aside.
- Place almonds in the blender or Thermomix and mill for 4-6 seconds on a medium speed (Speed 6 for Thermomix). Once done add it to the bowl of chocolate and set aside.
- Place all remaining ingredients into the blender or Thermomix and mix for 20 seconds on a medium speed (Speed 7 for Thermomix)
- Add almond and chocolate mix to the blender or Thermomix and continue to mix for another 30 seconds on a medium speed (Speed 6 for Thermomix).
- Place baking cups in the muffin tin.
- Pour a small portion of the mixture into each baking cup and then add two – three teaspoons of peanut butter or an amount to your liking.
- Pour more of the almond-chocolate mixture over the peanut butter until covered.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for approximately 12 mins or less depending on your oven. Check often. WARNING: Do not over cook or they will become dry to eat!
- Recipe will yield about 18 muffins.
What you need for the icing:
- 100g organic dark or milk chocolate
- 80g organic cream
Here’s what to do:
- Place chocolate in a blender or Thermomix and grate for 5 seconds on a high speed (Speed 8 for Thermomix).
- Add chocolate and cream to a double boiler (be careful not to get water mixed with the chocolate).
- Melt until there is a creamy consistency.
- When muffins have cooled, cover the top with your icing.
NB: If using a Thermomix for your icing then leave the chocolate in the TM bowl and add the cream. Set the cook function to 50 degrees and cook for 2 minutes on speed 3.
Serve with cream or home made ice cream for a very indulgent dessert at home or pack in school lunches!