Look no further than our organic gluten free buckwheat pizza base! I certainly wasn’t disappointed and you wont be either. I cannot claim this recipe either… note to myself put Anais on full time to do all our cooking! This base is a healthy alternative and you can add seeds to the base to give it a bit of crunch if you like too. The best part is you don’t have to set it aside and wait for it to rise because there is nothing to rise. I’m sure that is music to your ears.
It’s super easy to put together… I was watching her… and cooking took no time at all especially if you have a ‘pizza’ knob on your oven. Just put all the ingredients together into a bowl, stir to combine and pour over a pre-heated pizza stone, if your lucky enough to have one, or pour out onto a baking tray lined with backing paper in the shape of a circle… that’s what Anais did and it worked fine!
This batter will make 1 x slightly larger than a medium sized pizza and 1 x a small one. If you have young kids this is the perfect amount for your little ones. Big kids? Well you’ll be making a few batches!
Here’s what you need:
- 1 cup organic buckwheat flour
- 3 tablespoons organic tapioca flour (or Arrowroot)
- ¼ cup organic olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp organic (aluminium free) baking powder
- ½ cup mixture of organic herbs – rosemary, basil, tarragon, oregano (or any others that you may enjoy)
- 1 cup filtered water at room temperature
Here’s how you put it together:
- Pre heat your oven on 200 degrees Celsius
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Note: the mixture will look like cake batter and will be fairly runny.
- Using a spoon or a spatula spread the batter onto a baking tray lined with baking paper or onto a pre-heated pizza stone.
- Pop into your oven for 5 mins to precook the batter until you see it’s golden, crispy and with some dark spots on it but not burnt. Remove and flip so the other side is cooked for approximately 5 mins as well. Remove from oven.
- Place your favourite toppings on (e.g. passata, olives, capsicum, spinach, basil)
- Return to oven and cook for 10-15 mins or until you see that your toppings are cooked.
- Remove, slice and serve!
PLEASE NOTE: Everyone’s oven is different and some have a pizza knob and others don’t. If you follow the above steps closely your pizza wont burn. If you have a pizza knob that automatically sets the temperature pop the batter in to cook for 5 mins on one side and then 3 mins on the other side. Once you have popped your toppings on return to the oven and cook for another 5 mins. Watch carefully because a pizza knob generally has the temperature very high.
Our pizza’s were seriously delicious and like I said so easy to put together.
Enjoy eating this recipe with your family!