This is another family staple that our kids love and it certainly doesn’t last long. Almond butter, like other nut butter’s is so simple and easy to put together and it makes a great satiating snack food. Once you have made your own almond butter I doubt you’ll go back to buying store almond butter again. There are only two ingredients and if you have an oven and a good blender you are good to go!
Almonds are high in fibre, protein and Vitamin E and also have several micro nutrients like calcium and magnesium. They are rich in unsaturated fatty acids and are energy dense. You can use your home made organic almond butter to make our favourite energy bliss balls too. Did you know almonds are considered one of the best brain foods because they are full of riboflavin and L-carnitine which both have a positive effect on your neurological function! So, don’t delay get making some today.
Here’s what you need:
450 grams organic raw activated almonds
1/4 cap of our All Natural Liquid Magnesium or a couple of pinches of Himalayan Salt + dulse flakes to taste
Here’s how to put it together:
- Turn on your oven to grill mode and set it at a low heat.
- Place the almonds on a baking tray and place in the oven.
- Check your almonds frequently so that they do not burn. Each time you check them toss them. Everyone’s oven is different so please keep an eye on them. We don’t want to waste the almonds because they are burnt!
- When lightly roasted remove from the oven.
- Allow to cool.
- Place them into your Thermomix, blender or vita mix.
- Add our All Natural Liquid Magnesium or Himalayan salt to taste.
- Blend on a high speed for about 10 mins. To start with you will need to scrape down the sides a few times to get it going. Blend until you have your desired consistency. Note: the consistency will be different to a commercial bought almond butter. It may take longer in your blender and if so not to worry just keep going. It does take a while for the almonds to release their oils!
- Transfer almond butter into a jar and enjoy.
It will keep in the fridge for about 6 months and in a cool cup board space for about 3 months.
Here are a few ways we enjoy our almond butter:
- Drizzled over apple
- A spoonful in the mouth
- On our organic buckwheat bread in the mornings
- In our organic coconut ice cream
- As the base in our organic energy bliss balls