This slice has always been a favourite of mine ever since my grandmother made it for my sister and I every time we went to her place after school…which by-the-way was a lot! Back then it was made with wheat but we have put our own spin on the recipe to update it and it’s delicious! A favourite now with our kids on their birthday’s.
Warning: Make it once and you’ll be making it over and over!
Cuisine Dessert / After school snack
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 20 mins + 20 mins cool down
Servings 8-10 people depending on how big you cut the slices 🙂
1 x cup organic buckwheat flour
½ cup of organic coconut sugar (we find coconut sugar strong so I usually put in a little e.g. 1/4 of a cup)
1 x cup organic desiccated coconut
1 x tbs organic cocoa
185g (6oz) organic butter
½ tsp organic vanilla
- Turn on oven to moderate (190-200C / 375-400F)
- Grease a lamington tin 28cm x 18cm (11in x 7in)
- Sift dry ingredients into a bowl
- Add meted butter and vanilla and mix well (*add any variations to the recipe here. See below)
- Press mixture into the greased tin
- Bake in moderate oven for 20 minutes.
- Cool in tin
1 x cup organic icing sugar
2 x tbs organic cocoa
30g (1oz) organic butter
1½tbs hot water
Organic coconut to dust on top
- Sift icing sugar and cocoa into a small bowl
- Add melted butter and hot water
- Mix until the icing is smooth and glossy
- When slice is cold ice it with the chocolate icing
- Sprinkle with coconut
- Cool in fridge for 20 minutes or until firmly set and then cut into bars.
Peppermint Chocolate – stir in 3 drops of organic peppermint essential oil at step 4 of the mixture.
Nut Chocolate Crunch – Place 1 cup of your favourite organic activated chopped nuts and add at step 4 of the mixture.
Fruit and Nut – Add 1/4 cup organic and oil free sultanas or chopped dates and 1/4 cup of organic activated chopped nuts at step 4 of the mixture.
Cherry Ripe – seeing we have the coconut going anyway why not add 1/4 cup organic goji berries, 1/4 cup organic dried berries (like blueberries or cranberries) in step 4 of the mixture.