With Easter right around the corner I wanted to make something yummy for the kids to tuck into at anytime and all three chose Hot Cross Buns! I also thought I better make a double batch because with family and friends over the for the holidays I knew they wouldn’t last long!
Please note I did not have a piping bag so I used the edge of a knife to make the crosses which I DO NOT recommend 🙂 however I wasn’t so concerned with what they looked like I just wanted to make sure with a light toast and some yummy organic (raw if possible) butter they would taste amazing! Also if you don’t like the taste of coconut flour (many don’t) then use more almond meal however the recipe will turn out denser and heavier or failing that substitute all of the coconut flour with your favourite flour.
- 2 cups organic almond meal
- 1/2 cup organic coconut flour
- 1/4 cup 100% organic maple syrup or organic local honey
- 6 eggs
- 250 grams organic butter melted (or ghee or coconut oil)
- 2 organic granny smith apples peeled and grated (I drained the apple juice)
- 3/4 cup organic sultanas (read the ingredients to make sure they are not coated in vegetable oil).
- 2 tsp. organic nutmeg
- 3 tsp. organic cinnamon
To make the crosses
- 1 tbs. coconut flour
- 1 tbs. tapioca flour
Putting to muffins together
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Butter a 12 muffin tin (you could use non chemical cupcake papers if you like).
- In a large bowl, mix the almond meal, coconut flour, nutmeg and cinnamon together..
- Add the maple syrup, butter and eggs and mix well.
- Now add the apple and sultanas. Mix again until it forms a dough.
- Once the mixture is all combined, roll in to 12 even balls.
- Place them in to the muffin tin and press down a little.
Putting the crosses together
- Place the flours in a small bowl.
- Gradually add drops of water while stirring, until a thick white paste forms. Use a fork to make sure there are no lumps.
- Put the paste into a piping bag, and pipe a cross on to the top of each bun (this is the step where I use a knife and don’t recommend it!)
- Now place the buns into the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Serve (muffin cases removed) lightly toasted or warmed and with yummy organic butter and an extra splash of cinnamon if you like!
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Total Time: 1 hr
Makes 12 yummy Paleo Hot Cross Buns!
Fancy ? I am going to try this with a little tweak drop the sultanas and spices and turn them into feijoas muffins
Oh that sounds wonderful. Let us know how they turn out!