Commercial granola’s are laced with refined sugars and now-a-days can be fortified with some kind of vitamin! But Dr Randall’s Vital GROWnola for sporty kids will be loved by your kids as well. It’s not only nutritious but delicious as well. Simply add your favourite nut milk or some goats or sheep yogurt for a scrumptious breakfast the whole family will enjoy.
During the holiday season we add nutmeg, cinnamon and some ground ginger and other spices to create some variety. What I love about this recipe is all the nuts and seeds and the subtle sweet taste through the honey or maple syrup and the dried fruit. Not only can this be a breakfast meal it can also be packed in snack bags for the kids to nibble on at school or a quick afternoon snack before going to sport practice.
Prep Time: Can be overnight if you are activating nuts
Cook Time: 1-2 hrs in oven or 24 hrs in dehydrator
Here’s what you will need:
- 2 cups organic buckwheat flakes (activated)
- 1 cup organic raw almonds (activated)
- 1 cup organic raw cashews (activated)
- 1 cup organic raw macadamias (activated)
- ½ cup organic raw pepitas (pumpkin seeds, activated)
- ¼ cup organic raw sunflower seeds (activated)
- ½ cup organic unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup organic coconut oil
- ½ cup organic raw honey or maple syrup
- 1 cup organic dried cranberries (or favourite dried fruit)
- 1 x heavy pinch of organic Himalayan salt (or salt to taste)
Here’s what equipment you’ll need:
1 x large mixing bowl
1 x wooden spoon
1 x Thermomix or food processor
1 x baking paper (optional, just make sure it doesn’t burn to the bottom of your tray!)
1 x flat baking tray
1 x oven or dehydrator
Here’s how to put it together:
1. Preheat oven to 80 Degrees Celsius – lowest temperature possible for ovens and 41 degrees Celsius for dehydrators.
2. Place nuts and seeds into the Thermomix or a food processor and pulse a couple times to chop them a little. Add them to your large mixing bowl.
3. Add buckwheat, cranberries, coconut flakes, spices and salt to large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
4. Melt coconut oil over low heat. Allow to cool slightly.
5. Add honey to the coconut oil once it has cooled slightly. Stir them together.
6. Add coconut oil and honey to the large mixing bowl and stir thoroughly.
7. Lay out the baking paper on the baking tray and evenly place all of Dr Randall’s ‘Vital GROWnola’ on top. Note: depending on the size of your baking tray you may need to use two. Make sure the GROWnola is not too thick when you lay it out to cook. Evenly place it on the tray or trays. Place in over and cook for 1-2 hours checking regularly until a golden colour appears. If using a dehydrator use wet activated buckwheat, nuts and seeds and place in dehydrator for up to 24 hours (this is the true raw version.)
8. Once removed from the oven/dehydrator allow it to cool.
9. Serve immediately.
WARNING: This will not last long, children will ‘waft it’ (aka ‘eat really fast’). If you want some for yourself the next day place a portion in an air tight container and hide it where they won’t find it… we’ve had to do that many times!